Re: Using one mailbox at ISP for many people

Jonathan Matthews <jaycee.removeifnotspam@jaycee.uklinux.net> writes:

> Hi all
>
> [BRIEF SUMMARY - How do I segregate one mail stream from one mailbox
> at my ISP into different users locally?]

> What combination of programs do I use to get one mailbox successfully
> segregated when it hits my machine?  I'm using fetchmail -> exim ->
> procmail at the moment, but I've lurked on the procmail list long enough
> not to ask about using it as a MDA (or is it an MTA that it shouldn't
> be treated as?).

Procmail is _exactly_ what you want for this!  The package description:-

8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
 Can be used to create mail-servers, mailing lists, sort your incoming
 mail into separate folders/files (real convenient when subscribing to one
 or more mailing lists or for prioritising your mail), preprocess your
 mail, start any programs upon mail arrival (e.g. to generate different
 chimes on your workstation for different types of mail) or selectively
 forward certain incoming mail automatically to someone.

Have a look at man  procmail
                    procmailrc
                    procmailex

You  have the right combination of programs to make this work.

If you need help to set it up, get back to me!

Glyn
--
Debian Home       http://www.debian.org
Debian Planet     http://www.debianplanet.org/