Re: FreeS/WAN on PPPOE

Am Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2003 19:49 schrieb Curtis Vaughan:
> Out DSL connection is through a PPPOE connect, unfortunately. Although
> setting up multiple VPNs has generally been no problem, this time for
> this office it has been a pain. The only reason we can think of now is
> because this is first time we've dealt with a PPPOE connection. Has
> anyone experienced similar problems? If so, were you able to overcome
> it? Or, perhaps this isn't the problem at all.

Hi,

we connect several branch offices to our main office using freeswan. That
makes no problems at all. But maybe your pppoe-Lines not comparable to ours
in germany. We have pppoe  on adsl lines (768 - 1500 Kbit/s down , 128 - 192
Kbits up) with dynamic IP-Addresses. Our main office has a 2Mbit Leased line
with permanent ip-addresses. We running freeswan on woody and on potato. On
woody we are using the woody-pakage (freeswan 1.96) , on potato we got
freeswan directly from freeswan.org an compiled it ourselves (i think it's
1.92).

Before going to ipsec : pppoe has less usable paketsizes. Are you able to get
big pakets (without vpn) over your pppoe-line at all?

Now ipsec : Maybe you should setup your pppoe - "ipsec.conf" with
%defaultroute - if you've already having it like that.

Have a look at some parts of our ipsec.conf :
(left = branch office / rigth = main office)

Part of ipsec.conf on a pppoe - Gateway :
# /etc/ipsec.conf - FreeS/WAN IPsec configuration file
# basic configuration
config setup
        # THIS SETTING MUST BE CORRECT or almost nothing will work;
        # %defaultroute is okay for most simple cases.
        interfaces=%defaultroute
        # Debug-logging controls:  "none" for (almost) none, "all" for lots.
        klipsdebug=none
        plutodebug=none
        # Use auto= parameters in conn descriptions to control startup.
        plutoload=%search
        plutostart=%search
        # Close down old connection when new one using same ID shows up.
        uniqueids=yes

# defaults for subsequent connection descriptions
conn %default
        keyingtries=0
        disablearrivalcheck=no
        compress=yes
        authby=rsasig
        auto=start

conn vh.n-lz.n
        leftsubnet=192.168.193.0/24
        rightsubnet=193.158.106.0/24
        also=vh.gw-lz.gw

conn vh.gw-lz.n
        rightsubnet=193.158.106.0/24
        also = vh.gw-lz.gw

conn vh.n-lz.gw
        leftsubnet=192.168.193.0/24
        also = vh.gw-lz.gw

# "also" section :
conn vh.gw-lz.gw
        left=%defaultroute
        leftid=@baum-vh-fw1.baum.de
        right=193.158.106.2
        rightid=@vpngw-lz.baum.de
        rightnexthop=193.158.106.1
        leftrsasigkey=0x0103bae5...
        rightrsasigkey=0x0103ad9...
--------

Part of ipsec.conf on central gateway :
# basic configuration
config setup
        interfaces="ipsec0=eth0"
        # Debug-logging controls:  "none" for (almost) none, "all" for lots.
        klipsdebug=none
        plutodebug=none
        # Use auto= parameters in conn descriptions to control startup
        plutoload=%search
        plutostart=%search
        # Close down old connection when new one using same ID shows up.
        uniqueids=yes

# defaults for subsequent connection descriptions
conn %default
        # How persistent to be in (re)keying negotiations (0 means very).
        keyingtries=1
        compress=yes
        right=193.158.106.2
        rightid=@vpngw-lz.baum.de
        rightnexthop=193.158.106.1
        authby=rsasig
        rightrsasigkey=0x0103a.....
        auto=add

#
# Baum-vh-fw1
#
conn vh.n-lz.n
        leftsubnet=192.168.193.0/24
        rightsubnet=193.158.106.0/24
        also=vh.gw-lz.gw

conn vh.gw-lz.n
        rightsubnet=193.158.106.0/24
        also=vh.gw-lz.gw

conn vh.n-lz.gw
        leftsubnet=192.168.193.0/24
        also=vh.gw-lz.gw

# "also" section for vh :
conn vh.gw-lz.gw
        left=%any
        leftid=@baum-vh-fw1.baum.de
        leftrsasigkey=0x0103...
-------

I hope this will help you. If not, you'll at least need to post your
ipsec.conf-parts with the general section (cut your keys out)  for the
problematic connection.

Maybe you could show the output of "ipsec barf" from both sites after trying
to get a connection. (Thats about >>100K per site...)

You could also have a look to freeswan.org. They have two sites with archives
of their mailinglists. (Maybe that would be the best way, to get your
freeswan-problem solved.)

Willi