Re: Changing process priority

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:30:26PM +0000, Rodrigo Sobrinho wrote:
> well, when I logged at non super-user, I can not alter the priority of
> my process to negative number. Deny permission for me
>
> sobrinho@hercules:~$ nice -n -1 kedit
> nice: n?o consigo alterar prioridade: Permiss?o negada
>
> why?

An exerpt from renice(1):

  Users other than the super-user may only alter the priority of
  processes they own, and can only monotonically increase their ``nice
  value'' within the range 0 to PRIO_MAX (20).  (This prevents
  overriding administrative fiats.)  The super-user may alter the
  priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range
  PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX.  Useful priorities are: 20 (the affected
  processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0
  (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things
  go very fast).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com