Re: [unstable] terrible gnome 2.2 performance problems

Troy Arnold wrote:
> I have an LCD as well.  When I first fired up gnome2 it looked
> *horrible*  the anti-aliasing was nowhere near as nice as what I was
> used to with qt.  However, experimenting with the settings did the
> trick.  Fonts are absolutely sharp now.
>
> Desktop_Preferences->fonts->subpixel smoothing on
> ->details->
> smoothing:subpixel
> Hinting:Full
> Subpixel order: RGB (No idea WTF this means)

For those like me who don't use all of gnome, just apps, and have to
edit things by hand, that translates to something like this in fonts.conf:

        <match target="font">
                <test qual="all" name="rgba">
                        <const>unknown</const>
                </test>
        </match>

And yes, it's just about worth it.

> I don't want folks giving up on AA fonts because they look like crap out
> of the box.

It's a bit of a pity that the library that is rendering them cannot ask
the X server if a LCD is connected and DTRT.

--
see shy jo