Re: Debian unstable: problems during migration from gnome 1.4 to gnome 2.2

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 11:17, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 04:11:21PM +0100, Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I migrated from gnome 1.4 to gnome 2.2 (*) yesterday and here are the
> > problems I encountered. I am willing to report the problems but I am not
> > sure to which package they pertain. If you got ideas how to fix the
> > remaining ones, please do contact me :)
> >
> > [Some problems were related to the fact that I was using wmaker, which
> > is not a 'pure' Gnome Window Manager.]
> >
> > - I lost my default window manager at startup (wmaker). I fixed the
> > problem by adding a window manager in the session applications to
> > startup but I am not sure it is the correct fix. Should I put it
> > elsewhere? I didn't find any gnome panel to change my window manager
> > settings as I used to have in Gnome 1.4. Sawfish seems to be the only
> > supported WM.
>
> It seems that GNOME2 has drop this particular configuration option,
> sadly.
>
> > - lost some panels (e.g. e-sound manager). Do I miss a package?
>
> Panels or applets?

Applets, my bad

> > - lost icons for some panels (at startup one complains about missing
> > /usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-battery.png). Do I miss a package?
>
> I don't have this file either; try packages.debian.org.

I found it in X11/gnome-applets 1.4.0.5-4 in the testing distribution
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=gnome-battery.png&searchmode=searchfilesanddirs&case=insensitive&version=testing&arch=i386

I found out that I had the following pacakges installed:
libcapplet0
libpanel-applet0

I purged them to see what happens. If that solves it I will send another
email.

I had to keep libcapplet1 as evolution depends on it.

[...]

> > - I also find yelp extremely slow
>
> Not sure, never used it...

Thanks a lot.