Re: Debian unstable: problems during migration from gnome 1.4 to gnome 2.2

Sorry for replying at the wrong point in the thread.  I deleted Jerome's
message, and am therefore unable to reply to it instead...

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 04:11:21PM +0100, Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) wrote:
> I migrated from gnome 1.4 to gnome 2.2 (*) yesterday and here are the
> problems I encountered. I am willing to report the problems but I am not
> sure to which package they pertain. If you got ideas how to fix the
> remaining ones, please do contact me :)
>
> [Some problems were related to the fact that I was using wmaker, which
> is not a 'pure' Gnome Window Manager.]
>
> - I lost my default window manager at startup (wmaker). I fixed the
> problem by adding a window manager in the session applications to
> startup but I am not sure it is the correct fix. Should I put it
> elsewhere? I didn't find any gnome panel to change my window manager
> settings as I used to have in Gnome 1.4. Sawfish seems to be the only
> supported WM.

On a default gnome.org GNOME Desktop 2.2 install, Metacity (rather than
Sawfish) is in fact supposed to be the default window manager.  You need only
set the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable to the path of your preferred
window manager to change this.

Many other settings which are not obviously modifiable can be accessed using
the gconf-editor tool.

--
Michael Wardle
Adacel Technologies