Debian unstable: problems during migration from gnome 1.4 to gnome 2.2

Hi,

I migrated from gnome 1.4 to gnome 2.2 (*) yesterday and here are the
problems I encountered. I am willing to report the problems but I am not
sure to which package they pertain. If you got ideas how to fix the
remaining ones, please do contact me :)

[Some problems were related to the fact that I was using wmaker, which
is not a 'pure' Gnome Window Manager.]

- first I encountered bug 178956 [1] which is supposed to be fix but the
new package for gnome-desktop-data doesn't seem to have been uploaded
and I had to manually remove gnome-help (using dpkg).

- I lost my default window manager at startup (wmaker). I fixed the
problem by adding a window manager in the session applications to
startup but I am not sure it is the correct fix. Should I put it
elsewhere? I didn't find any gnome panel to change my window manager
settings as I used to have in Gnome 1.4. Sawfish seems to be the only
supported WM.

- I lost my mouse acceleration settings. Was at maximum, spent 5 minutes
trying to reach the window to tune it down :) Really annoying.

- I had duplicate launchers on my top gnome panels. Removed them
manually.

- lost some panels (e.g. e-sound manager). Do I miss a package?

- lost icons for some panels (at startup one complains about missing
/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-battery.png). Do I miss a package?

- lost placement of all icons on desktop. Now everything is on the left.

- lost icons related to file types (all icons are identical on my
desktop and in nautilus, really annoying)

- lost workspace configuration (had 4, handled by wmaker, got 1)

- lost applications at startup (was probably handled by wmaker, not
gnome)

- lost default xterm setting (was Xterm was defaulted to Gnome Terminal)

- gthumb crashes
jerome@expresso> gthumb
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
gthumb: relocation error: gthumb: undefined symbol: __cmpdi2

- sensible-browser complains upon closing
jerome@expresso> sensible-browser
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
** CRITICAL **: file
/tmp/galeon-1.2.7/build/upstream/src/mozilla/mozilla.cpp: line 591
(gboolean mozilla_print_preview_close(GaleonEmbed *)): assertion
`embed->wrapper != NULL' failed.

- I also find yelp extremely slow

Attached the list of my gnome packages obtained doing a 'dpkg -l | grep
gnome > gnome.list'

Hope it helps.

I still have some packages to install.

(*) Yes I missed gnome 2.0, waiting too much for it to be stable :)

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=178956&archive=no

--
Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) <lacostej@frisurf.no>
CoffeeBreaks
ii  dia-gnome      0.90-2         Diagram editor (GNOME version)
rc  gaim-gnome     0.59.7-1       GPL multi-protocol instant messenger client
ri  gnome-admin    1.0.3-14       Gnome Admin Utilities (gulp)
ii  gnome-applets  2.2.0-1        Various applets for GNOME 2 panel
ii  gnome-apt      0.4.1-1        graphical package manager
ii  gnome-audio    1.4.0-5        Audio files for Gnome
ii  gnome-bin      1.4.2-11       Miscellaneous binaries used by GNOME
ii  gnome-control- 2.2.0-2        The GNOME Control Center for GNOME 2
ii  gnome-core     20             the essentials of an integrated, easy to use
ii  gnome-desktop- 2.2.0-2        Common files for GNOME 2 desktop apps
ii  gnome-doc-tool 1.0-6          Tools, stylesheets and DTDs for GNOME.
rc  gnome-help     1.4.2-1        GNOME help browser
ii  gnome-help-dat 1.4.2-1        GNOME help browser data
ii  gnome-libs-dat 1.4.2-11       Data for GNOME libraries
ii  gnome-media    2.1.5-1        Gnome 2 Media Utilities
ii  gnome-mime-dat 2.0.1-1        base MIME and Application database for GNOME
ii  gnome-panel    2.2.0-2        Launch and/or dock GNOME 2 applications
ii  gnome-panel-da 2.2.0-2        Common files for GNOME 2 panel
ii  gnome-pilot    0.1.71-4       A GNOME applet for management of your Palm P
ii  gnome-pim      1.4.9-1        Calendar and address book for GNOME.
ii  gnome-session  2.2.0.1-1      The GNOME 2 Session Manager
ii  gnome-spell    0.5-3          GNOME/Bonobo component for spell checking
ii  gnome-system-m 2.0.3-2        Process viewer and system resource monitor f
ii  gnome-terminal 2.2.0-1        The GNOME 2 terminal emulator application
ii  gnome-users-gu 1.4.1.1-2      GNOME User's Guide
ii  gnome-utils    2.2.0.3-1      GNOME desktop utilities
ii  gnome2-user-gu 2.0.4-1        GNOME 2 User's Guide
ii  gnomemeeting   0.96.0-1       H323 Compatible Netmeeting clone for the Gno
ii  libglade-gnome 0.17-2.7       Library to load .glade files at runtime (Gno
ii  libgnome-deskt 2.2.0-2        Utility library for loading .desktop files -
ii  libgnome-perl  0.7008-1.7     Perl module for the gnome and zvt libraries.
ii  libgnome-pilot 0.1.71-4       Support libraries for gnome-pilot
ii  libgnome-vfs-c 1.0.5-4        The GNOME virtual file-system libraries comm
ii  libgnome-vfs0  1.0.5-4        The GNOME virtual file-system libraries
ii  libgnome2-0    2.2.0.1-1      The GNOME 2 library - runtime files
ii  libgnome2-comm 2.2.0.1-1      The GNOME 2 library - common files
ii  libgnome32     1.4.2-11       The GNOME libraries
ii  libgnomecanvas 2.2.0.1-1      A powerful object-oriented display - runtime
ii  libgnomecanvas 2.2.0.1-1      A powerful object-oriented display - common
ii  libgnomemm1.2- 1.2.4-1        C++ wrapper for GNOME 1 (shared library)
ii  libgnomeprint- 0.37-2         The GNOME Print architecture - binary files
ii  libgnomeprint- 0.37-2         The GNOME Print architecture - data files
ii  libgnomeprint1 0.37-2         The GNOME Print architecture - runtime libra
ii  libgnomeprint2 2.2.1-1        The GNOME 2.2 print architecture - runtime f
ii  libgnomeprint2 2.2.1-1        The GNOME 2.2 print architecture - data file
ii  libgnomeprintu 2.2.1-1        The GNOME 2.2 print architecture User Interf
ii  libgnomeprintu 2.2.1-1        The GNOME 2.2 print architecture User Interf
ii  libgnomesuppor 1.4.2-11       The GNOME libraries (Support libraries)
ii  libgnomeui-0   2.2.0.1-1      The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - run
ii  libgnomeui-com 2.2.0.1-1      The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - com
ii  libgnomeui32   1.4.2-11       The GNOME libraries (User Interface)
ii  libgnomevfs2-0 2.2.0-2        The GNOME virtual file-system libraries (for
ii  libgnomevfs2-c 2.2.0-2        The GNOME virtual file-system library common
ii  libobgnome0    1.0.40-4       Objective-C - GNOME bindings
ii  ooqstart-gnome 0.8.3-5        OpenOffice QuickStarter applet for GNOME
ii  python-gnome   1.4.4-7        PyGNOME -- Python bindings for GNOME.