Re: Latest MPlayer

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:52:40 -0500 (EST),
Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:

> I would have to agree on this one.  For example, here is my
> mplayer configure command when I compile it:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/mplayer-0.90rc4 \
> --datadir=/opt/mplayer-common/share/mplayer \
> --with-win32libdir=/opt/mplayer-common/lib/codecs/ \
> --with-xanimlibdir=/opt/mplayer-common/lib/codecs/ \
> --with-reallibdir=/opt/mplayer-common/lib/codecs/ \
> --enable-opendivx --enable-gui
>
> Full command is located in a script called mplayer.config
>
> Make sure you have the latest Divx4Linux downloaded compiled
> and installed from avifile.sf.net.

Totally unnecessary. The mplayerhq developers always recommend
the libavcodec video processing library from the ffmpeg
(sourceforge) project. This will be autodectected if you have a
proper libavcodec/ directory within your mplayer build tree. An
mplayer release tarball includes this. With mplayer CVS you have
to extract the appropropriate subdirectory from ffmpeg CVS.

Also, opendivx is deprecated:

$ ./configure --help | grep opendivx
  --enable-opendivx      enable _old_ OpenDivx codec [disable]

Note the emphasis the ./configure script's emphasis on _old_. The
preferred way to play DivX is with libavcodec.