Re: Latest MPlayer

I would have to agree on this one.  For example, here is my mplayer
configure command when I compile it:

./configure --prefix=/opt/mplayer-0.90rc4 \
--datadir=/opt/mplayer-common/share/mplayer \
--with-win32libdir=/opt/mplayer-common/lib/codecs/ \
--with-xanimlibdir=/opt/mplayer-common/lib/codecs/ \
--with-reallibdir=/opt/mplayer-common/lib/codecs/ \
--enable-opendivx --enable-gui

Full command is located in a script called mplayer.config

Make sure you have the latest Divx4Linux downloaded compiled and
installed from avifile.sf.net.  I downloaded all the w32 codecs from
mplayerhq.hu and placed them in /opt/mplayer-common/lib/codecs.  Every
time a new version of MPlayer comes out, I adjust the prefix in the script
and instant upgrade.  /opt/mplayer actually points to the latest version
on my machine.  Old versions are killed once I decide the one I compiled
is working correctly ;)  Once I upgraded using this method and I couldn't
play a Divx I had saved.

Come up with your own system, of course, but guarenteed you will be
happier compiling it from source.  This is DEFINATELY one piece of
software you want optomized to your processor.

--

Arthur H. Johnson II
Senior Systems Engineer

The Linux Box