Re: OT: Debian nor OS/X get time from MS's SNTP

Mark Ferlatte wrote:

Kent West said on Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:03:26PM -0600:
Our Windows admin guy tells me that the time server for campus is running SNTP (RFC 1769). I've noticed that neither my Debian box nor two Macintosh OS/X boxes can synch time against our ntp server. However, they can synch against a Solaris server we have.

Does Linux and/or OS/X not work with SNTP?

SNTP is client-only.  It's just NTP without the server-side of things.  So, if
the Windows server is running SNTP, it can't serve time to anyone.

Linux and OS/X can run SNTP clients just fine (and, in fact, ntpdate is
effectively such a client).

How do I determine if my Debian box can work with SNTP, or if it only works with NTP? Ditto the Mac.

Simple test:

What does ntpdate -q your.time.server tell you?  If ntpdate can't talk to it,
then it's either not running an NTP server, or it's filtering out NTP requests
from you.

This is what my Windows admin says:

... here's what MS has to say about the time service running on ntp0:
'The Windows Time Synchronization service (W32Time) is a fully compliant implementation of the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) as detailed in IETF RFC 1769.'

And the result of your suggested test:

westk[@westek]:/home/westk> sudo ntpdate -q ntp0.acu.edu
server 150.252.128.107, stratum 2, offset -67.056698, delay 0.03380
25 Feb 15:14:35 ntpdate[11374]: no server suitable for synchronization found

This got me curious, so I went to my WinXP box and tried to synch against ntp0.acu.edu; it failed also. Apparently you're right about our ntp server being a client only, or something equally messed up. Time to go confront my Windows admin.

Thanks!

Kent