OT: Debian nor OS/X get time from MS's SNTP

Our Windows admin guy tells me that the time server for campus is running SNTP (RFC 1769). I've noticed that neither my Debian box nor two Macintosh OS/X boxes can synch time against our ntp server. However, they can synch against a Solaris server we have.

Does Linux and/or OS/X not work with SNTP?

Is the Solaris box running NTP rather than SNTP. Is there an easy way for me to find out?

How do I determine if my Debian box can work with SNTP, or if it only works with NTP? Ditto the Mac.

(I'm suspecting that the Windows server is somehow configured to be Microsoft-centric, but I'm willing to entertain the idea that the problem lies elsewhere.)

Thanks for any pointers!

Kent