FW: Sound Blaster Live Support

Sound support seems to be one of the less well documented areas for
Linux in general and Debian in particular (go ahead, flame away and
point me to the how-to's I missed!).

I know I SHOULD be able to get a happy configuration with my Sound
Blaster Live - but I'm not getting very far.  The frustrating part is
the lack of consistency - sometimes I can get things to work, and
sometimes not.

I'm trying to get comfortable with Debian - to actually get a feel for
how it works (without messing with code or re-compiling the kernel!) and
how to support it.  So I just keep re-installing to see which steps mess
me up less than others.

Can someone point me to a resource to understand the sound support
available in Debian?  Stuff that will explain to me the differences
between OSS, ESD, ALSA, etc.?  And then of course adding a desktop
environment like KDE or GNOME adds another layer.

BTW, I'm using Woody - I think.  I started messing with my sources.list,
just for fun, and I may have partially upgraded to Sarge or Sid.

Daniel