Re: FW: Sound Blaster Live Support

Administrator wrote:

Sound support seems to be one of the less well documented areas for
Linux in general and Debian in particular (go ahead, flame away and
point me to the how-to's I missed!).

I know I SHOULD be able to get a happy configuration with my Sound
Blaster Live - but I'm not getting very far.  The frustrating part is
the lack of consistency - sometimes I can get things to work, and
sometimes not.

I'm trying to get comfortable with Debian - to actually get a feel for
how it works (without messing with code or re-compiling the kernel!) and
how to support it.  So I just keep re-installing to see which steps mess
me up less than others.

Can someone point me to a resource to understand the sound support
available in Debian?  Stuff that will explain to me the differences
between OSS, ESD, ALSA, etc.?  And then of course adding a desktop
environment like KDE or GNOME adds another layer.

BTW, I'm using Woody - I think.  I started messing with my sources.list,
just for fun, and I may have partially upgraded to Sarge or Sid.
I had the same problem. What you need is the driver for your sound card. For the SoundBlaster Live card, it is emu10K.

Unfortunately, I had all kinds of trouble getting this driver to compile and load. I could only find it as source, not a .deb file.

Fortunately, when I upgraded from kernel 2.2.x to 2.4.20 (that is from 'testing'; I think 2.4.19 is in 'stable') it included the emu10K driver as a module, so it just worked.

To change kernels, run dselect (or your favorite apt frontend) and pick a newer kernel. It will update your lilo configuration. Reboot, and it should 'just work'.

- Bobman