Where is the bootup log? [Eth0 missing]

Interesting situation here.

I have a Dual boot Win98 / Debian stable system, and
boot up with Lilo.  The Win98 network still works.

Anyhow, I just got my XWindows system running, but
noticed that the Ethernet card is now not being
recognized.

I can briefly see some of the messages about this, but
then it goes into GDM, so I can't see them any more.

Is there some place that the log files are stored,
that I can look for more information, or post error
messages?

And how do I separate one bootup from another, in the
log?  Or is the log for only the most recent boot?

Thank you,

   Michael Rudmin

----
You might think this is my