Re: Where is the bootup log? [Eth0 missing]

Michael Rudmin <mike_rudmin@yahoo.com> writes:

> Anyhow, I just got my XWindows system running, but
> noticed that the Ethernet card is now not being
> recognized.
>
> I can briefly see some of the messages about this, but
> then it goes into GDM, so I can't see them any more.
>
> Is there some place that the log files are stored,
> that I can look for more information, or post error
> messages?
>
> And how do I separate one bootup from another, in the
> log?  Or is the log for only the most recent boot?

     `dmesg|less' will show the kernel bootup messages for your most
recent boot.  Kernel boot messages (not just the last boot) are also
in /var/log/syslog and /var/log/syslog.?.  The log entries are time
stamped, so you can easily see which is which.

     Neither will show the messages that are from init and the
/etc/init.d scripts, which are displayed after the kernel is booted.
However, I believe the kernel messages are what you want.  If you need
to see the others, you should disable gdm (and startx manually later).
[SHIFT] [PG UP] will scroll the display back to allow you see more
than one screen of information.

Regards,

Bob
--