free-range (but certanily not domestic) FONTS problem continue

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:44:10AM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:59:57PM -0600, Will Trillich wrote:
> > why don't my new fonts show up? i think i've tried just about
> > everything suggested, so far... :(
>
> The foolproof way:
> 1) Drop the fonts somewhere.  I use /usr/local/share/fonts/ (create it
>    if it's not there already), since it won't annoy dpkg there.
> 2) Add another FontPath line to your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4; there's
>    already a bunch up the top, just copy one of them.
> 3) If they're pcf fonts, then run 'mkfontdir' in
>    /usr/local/share/fonts/, as root.  sudo, of course, is the neatest
>    way to accomplish this.  If they're TrueType fonts, run 'mkttfdir'
>    instead.
> 4) Restart X, or if you don't want to do that quite yet, run 'xset +fp
>    /usr/local/share/fonts/;xset fp rehash'.  This command just tells the
>    X server to firstly add /usr/local/share/fonts/ to it's list of font
>    paths, and then to rehash it's list of available fonts.
> 5) Enjoy!
>
> Of course, I've not tested this, so please tell me which bits I've
> screwed up :-)

okay, i obviously need more synaptic juice than i appear to
possess. these fonts are installed and lurking hither and yon,
but refuse to cooperate with me (probably they have a beef
against clue-free newbies):

"dpkg -L freefont" shows that i should have at least

	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/boecklin.pfb
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/coronet.pfb
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/tekton.pfb
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/bodoni.pfb
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/bodonib.pfb
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/brushstr.pfb
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/garmndmi.pfb
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/baskvl.pfb

which i interpret to be arnold boëcklin, coronet, tekton,
bodoni, bodoni bold, brush stroke, garamond italic and
baskerville.  (there are also many others, but these are some
i'm familiar with, and i'll know if they show up on screen under
a font menu somewhere, even if under a different name.)

i did

	# apt-get install fttools

so i could

	# cd /usr/X11R6/X11/fonts/Type1/
	# mkttfdir

whoops, those are type1 postscript, not truetype fonts.

	# mkfontdir

and then (as i'm coming to expect, AN ERROR! horrors!)

	$ xset +fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
	X Error of failed request:  86
	  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
	  Serial number of failed request:  9

pooh. "man xset" is a bit terse (only covers its args, no error
messages) and looking in "man X" for this turned into an
afternoon that i'll never get back.

	$ xset q

shows (line breaks added)

	Font Path:
	  /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/,
	  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
	  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
	  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/

that gsfonts path is one that i did manage to add via "xset fp+"
but the fonts therein still don't show up on any menus (from
xfontsel to kwrite, to cover a broad range). just to be sure i
didn't miss anything, i did "xlsfonts | grep bodoni" and sure
enough, there warn't none. (same for "xlsatoms | grep -i bodo".)

so hopefully i've shown that i did a bit of homework, but i'm
still getting an F on the quizzes. :(

no, really. is there something obvious i've missed? or is this
some initiation ritual to weed out the newbies?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #79 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
:
When using a display manager (xdm, kdm, gdm) are your SHELL
DEFAULTS IGNORED IN X?  Put
	. ~/.bashrc
into your ~/.bash_profile so that new logins get not only the
login environment but also the shell environment; and add
	. ~/.bash_profile
into your ~/.xsession, which makes sure that the X session gets
a login environment.