Re: Free fonts

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 07:11:26AM -0900, Christopher Swingley
wrote:
> * Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com> [2003-Feb-19 23:30 AKST]:
> > 	xset fp+ /usr/X11/lib/fonts/freefont
> >
> > ...and i thought all would be lovely. sadly, my font menu
> > didn't change, even after restarting (and the stopping,
> > cold, and re-starting from scratch) the x window server.
>
> To add fonts "live" without having to restart your X server
> you needed to run:
>
>     xset fp rehash
>
> Then the fonts should have shown up with 'xlsfonts' or one of
> the GUI tools like gtkfontsel.
>
> To make the change persist over X restarts, you'll have to
> manipulate your font paths in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or your
> xfs font server configuration file.

this looks promising.

	$ xset fp rehash

and xfonsel shows the same old fonts, and xlsfonts enumerates
them in great detail, but there's no more fonts now than before
i did apt-get install...

plain vanilla woody/kde setup (tho i had a problem with the
'kicker' panel -- took out the taskbar applet which shows open
windows, and all is much better now).

why don't my new fonts show up? i think i've tried just about
everything suggested, so far... :(

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #7 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Wondering what COMMANDS you have at your disposal? Try pressing
the TAB key at the command line. For example, "apt<TAB>" will
show you all the commands that start with "apt". (This is called
"completion" if you want to look it up in your shell's manpage.)
(Different implementations have the <TAB> completion set up
differently -- you may need to press <TAB> twice.)