Re: Free fonts

Will,

* Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com> [2003-Feb-19 23:30 AKST]:
> then to figure out where to look for more info,
>
> 	dpkg -L freefont
>
> and so i browsed to
>
> 	lynx /usr/share/doc/freefont/
>
> where i learned to try
>
> 	xset fp+ /usr/X11/lib/fonts/freefont
>
> ...and i thought all would be lovely. sadly, my font menu didn't
> change, even after restarting (and the stopping, cold, and
> re-starting from scratch) the x window server.

To add fonts "live" without having to restart your X server you needed
to run:

    xset fp rehash

Then the fonts should have shown up with 'xlsfonts' or one of the GUI
tools like gtkfontsel.

To make the change persist over X restarts, you'll have to manipulate
your font paths in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or your xfs font server
configuration file.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program          Please use encryption.  GPG key at: