kernel-package gcc configuration etc. (Re: How do I do a sid upgrade and not get the gcc 3.2 stuff?)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:53:15 -0500, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> I was trying to do a sid upgrade and it keeps trying to give me the
> gcc 3.2 compiler, but I want to stay with the 2.95 -- the new ones
> are broke and don't compile kernels properly.

gcc 2.95 will still be on your system.

faheem ~>apt-show-versions -a gcc-2.95
gcc-2.95        1:2.95.4-11woody1       install ok installed
gcc-2.95        1:2.95.4-11woody1       stable
gcc-2.95        1:2.95.4-11     testing
gcc-2.95        1:2.95.4-15     unstable
gcc-2.95/stable uptodate 1:2.95.4-11woody1

It just won't be the default gcc any longer.

faheem ~>apt-show-versions -a gcc
gcc     2:2.95.4-17     install ok installed
gcc     2:2.95.4-14     stable
gcc     2:2.95.4-17     testing
gcc     3:3.2.2-0       unstable
gcc/testing uptodate 2:2.95.4-17

So, you can still compile kernels with it, though I agree that there
might be some problems if everything insists on calling gcc. Hmm. Does
anyone know if it is currently possible to configure what version of
gcc to use with kernel-package?

BTW, I don't see any kernel compilation Debian bugs reported for
gcc. If you have a problem, report it and perhaps someone will fix
it. They can't fix it if they don't know it exists.

                                                     Faheem.