Re: [OT] Multiple NICs with Monolithic kernel

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:10:40PM +1100, David Cureton wrote:
> As an a-side but in a similar vein:
>  	How can one ensure that the physical interfaces get assigned to the same
> interface consistently after rebooting. Is the only way to explicitly specify
> the physical interface/physical hardware address combination as a kernel
> parameter.
>
> On a firewall I have i am only slightly paranoid that the machine may come up
> after a power failure and re-assign the physical interfaces differently. Up
> until now all the interfaces have had different drivers so it has not been an
> issue.  module aliases have ensured eth1 does not come up as eth0 and so on.
>
> ideas?

     How you do this depends on whether you are loading your drivers as
     modules or if they are built in.  If there are built in like mine
     you pass the ether= parameter to the kernel.

     ether=9,0x2000,eth0

     If you use modules then you assign them in /etc/modules.conf

     alias eth0  tulip
     alias eth1  eepro100

     ~Michael

     I don't know what you do when multiple cards use the same module.