Re: [OT] Multiple NICs with Monolithic kernel

David Cureton wrote:
As an a-side but in a similar vein:
How can one ensure that the physical interfaces get assigned to the same interface consistently after rebooting. Is the only way to explicitly specify the physical interface/physical hardware address combination as a kernel parameter. On a firewall I have i am only slightly paranoid that the machine may come up after a power failure and re-assign the physical interfaces differently. Up until now all the interfaces have had different drivers so it has not been an issue. module aliases have ensured eth1 does not come up as eth0 and so on.

ideas?

I think pci is sorted by the kernel probing at bootup. Google finds a few
references to it.