Re: ipchains -> iptables converter?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 02:32:37PM -0500, Narins, Josh wrote:

> I spent a good amount of time with my old 2.2.x ipchains firewall.
>
> Because it was a laptop, it included different start scripts based on 10.x
> or 192.x or static IPs (I seem to recall)
>
> I liked it.  It was very nicely formatted (no tabs, well spaced) and was
> organized in a way I felt was appropriate (about 10 subscripts, actually,
> including different front ends, a variables script, one for the IANA stuff,
> etc)
>
> The question is whether or not there is something I can use to just convert
> these to iptables world.

Perhaps; as someone else mentioned, you won't learn anything about
iptables this way, though.  Also, iptables is a far more powerful
tool...it has things like stateful firewalling that will save you loads
of time, and also make possible things that ipchains couldn't do at
all...

> This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of
> the designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended
> recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review,
> dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
> prohibited.  This communication is for information purposes only and
> should not be regarded as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an
> offer to buy any financial product, an official confirmation of any
> transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email
> transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.
> Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or
> accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All information is
> subject to change without notice.

Ouchy.  Please don't sue me :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/