Re: Broken 2.4 Kernel? (was: Re: netdev watchdog eth0 transmit timed out)

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 12:27:20AM +0100, Ulf Janitschke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i had the same problem. First with a 'D-Link'-card with Via-Rhine Chipset.
> With a 2.2 kernel everything was fine. With the 2.4 i got 'netdev watchdog
> eth0 transmit timed out'. The problem showed up with both, the 2.4.16 and
> 2.4.18 kernel.
> Same thing with a RTL8139-card. Now i'am sitting here with a 2.2 kernel :-(.
> It seems to me, that there is a general problem with the 2.4 Debian-Kernel.
> (I havent seen any error like this before, on several systems with a wide
> range of nics). Can anybody prove/disprove this?
>
> Bord: EliteGroup K7S6A
> Distro: Debian 3.0r1 stable and testing
>
> Regards,
> Ulf Janitschke

At first time, sorry if my english is not good, i'm spanish.

The solution of the problem is turn off the APIC modules in the kernel.
Doing this the driver for realtek 8139too (not rtl8139, in older
versions of kernel) go good.

I hope help you

Bye