Re: Apt-get/ Dansguardian problem

Berdt van der Lingen wrote:

Since I installed dansguardian on my Squid-proxy box I wasn't able to
use apt-get properly. When I add the IP address of my debian box to the
excluded ip list of Dansguardian apt-get is working fine again. Does
anyone know about this problem? I couldn't find any information about it
on the web.

Btw, I was able to reproduce the problem by installing a fresh debian
woody box in VMware.
I am getting the following results after "apt-get update" behind my
dansguardian / transparant proxy:

debian:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages [437kB]
99% [Waiting for file] [Connecting to security.debian.org
(194.109.137.218)]
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Get:2 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release [110B]
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages [6538kB]
99% [Working] 771kB/s 0s
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Release [96B]
Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Release
Error reading from server - read (104 Connection reset by peer) [IP:
208.185.25.38 80]
Get:5 http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages [163kB]
99% [Working] 771kB/s 0s
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Get:6 http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release [99B]
Get:7 http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages [220kB]
99% [7 Packages gzip 0] 771kB/s 0s
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Err http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages
Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Get:8 http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release [100B]
Fetched 7359kB in 23s (314kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Release
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/contrib/binary-i386/Packag
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/Packa
ges Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Package
s Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
stable/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i
386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
stable/contrib Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_contrib_binar
y-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
stable/non-free Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_non-free_bina
ry-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.debian.org
stable/updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_stable_updates_main_binary
[...]
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

When I put the ip address of my debian box in the Dansguardian
exceptionlist everything runs fine:
debian:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages [96.7kB]
Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages [1777kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Release [96B]
Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages [49.2kB]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release
Get:5 http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages [65.4kB]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Release
Fetched 1988kB in 5s (348kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

Regards,

Berdt van der Lingen

You need to make sure that you edit the bannedextensionlist file. Most likely you are having problems since .gz files are banned be default. Check out your /var/log/dansguardian/access.log file to verify the problem and then make the appropriate corrections.