Kernel Configurations

I run a ISP where each user has their own group.  Then www-data is added to
that group.  My problem is that I have reached the maximum number of groups
a user can belong to:
[mwalkup@web1 pts/1 17:10:37 !501]
[~] $ getconf NGROUPS_MAX
32

So, I took my already customized kernel and changed the
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/include/linux/limits.h to have a much higher
value of NGROUPS_MAX.

I then packaged it up (using make-kpkg), and installed it (using dpkg).
Everything seemed fine.

I then rebooted.  It booted fine, but I still show 32 for the NGROUPS_MAX (I
set it to 256).  Am I missing a step here?

Thanks,

Matt