Re: firewall

Allan Andersen wrote:
On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 02:31, Russell Shaw wrote:

At the moment I've a RH firewall/router. It's quite unstable, so I would
like to installa Debian as a firewall and router instead of RH.

I need the box act as a firwall/router (I belive it's called
masquarading) and enabled port forwarding. Is there any easy to go
guides for this?

Get your local network cards set up and network working.
apt-get install iptables
apt-get install ipmasq

If you want it to connect to dial-up isp, then
apt-get install pppconfig

You may need to reboot to get all the scripts to run right.

Once pppconfig is set up, the pc can masquerade for other
PCs connected to its network cards.

Hi Paul and Russel,

Thanks very much for the quick response. Perhaps I should
mention that I'm a bit familiar with Debian. My primary
desktop is a Debian, so installation should not be a problem.

It's a standard ethernet connection (ADSL), so I don't think
it will be nessacery with a ppp configuartion. The pc has 2
3Coms netcards.

A couple of extra questions.

1. will the masquerade work automaticaly?

Yes, if your kernel has all the right options enabled.
You should use a recent 2.4 kernel. The options are in
the masquerading howto:
  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO

2. to which files do I write to port forwarding rules?

In /etc/ipmasq/rules, there's a bunch of scripts you can
overide with scripts of the same name, but with a .rul
extension. The pc should work as a masquerading gateway
without having to add any rules.