Re: firewall

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 02:31, Russell Shaw wrote:
> > At the moment I've a RH firewall/router. It's quite unstable, so I would
> > like to installa Debian as a firewall and router instead of RH.
> >
> > I need the box act as a firwall/router (I belive it's called
> > masquarading) and enabled port forwarding. Is there any easy to go
> > guides for this?
>
> Get your local network cards set up and network working.
> apt-get install iptables
> apt-get install ipmasq
>
> If you want it to connect to dial-up isp, then
> apt-get install pppconfig
>
> You may need to reboot to get all the scripts to run right.
>
> Once pppconfig is set up, the pc can masquerade for other
> PCs connected to its network cards.

Hi Paul and Russel,

Thanks very much for the quick response. Perhaps I should
mention that I'm a bit familiar with Debian. My primary
desktop is a Debian, so installation should not be a problem.

It's a standard ethernet connection (ADSL), so I don't think
it will be nessacery with a ppp configuartion. The pc has 2
3Coms netcards.

A couple of extra questions.

1. will the masquerade work automaticaly?
2. to which files do I write to port forwarding rules?

Thanks
Allan