Re: Iptables: not recommended by Debian?

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 05:47:14PM -0800 or thereabouts, calyth wrote:
> All,
> I was downloading iptables, and was going to set it up on a box so that
> it would be my router...
> After downloading the iptables package, it says that iptables was not
> recommended by Debian. Given the server was using the stable distro.
> Is there any reason why it should do so?
> Also any good tutorials for setting up NAT / Masquerading using
> iptables? I'm reading one of the tutorials from netfilter.org and it's
> taking way too long for me to read.....

Iptables works just fine here.  What I did was just install the
kernel source 2.4.20 from kernel.org, and then grabbed the source
for iptables and built it myself.

As far as tutorials go, check out netfilter.org and read. <g>
You might also want to check out the FIAIF firewall script, which
is available in a .deb package.  Just remember that if you would
go the custom route that I have, you have to manually install
the fiaif .deb package, along with the above.

Dana