Iptables: not recommended by Debian?

All,
I was downloading iptables, and was going to set it up on a box so that it would be my router... After downloading the iptables package, it says that iptables was not recommended by Debian. Given the server was using the stable distro.
Is there any reason why it should do so?
Also any good tutorials for setting up NAT / Masquerading using iptables? I'm reading one of the tutorials from netfilter.org and it's taking way too long for me to read.....

Calyth