Re: Kernel Configurations

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 02:12, GForce Hosting Support wrote:
> I run a ISP where each user has their own group.  Then www-data is added to
> that group.  My problem is that I have reached the maximum number of groups
> a user can belong to:
> [mwalkup@web1 pts/1 17:10:37 !501]
> [~] $ getconf NGROUPS_MAX
> 32
>
> So, I took my already customized kernel and changed the
> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/include/linux/limits.h to have a much higher
> value of NGROUPS_MAX.
>
> I then packaged it up (using make-kpkg), and installed it (using dpkg).
> Everything seemed fine.
>
> I then rebooted.  It booted fine, but I still show 32 for the NGROUPS_MAX (I
> set it to 256).  Am I missing a step here?

I remember that once NGROUPS_MAX was compiled in libc, which took it
from the kernel headers.  I don't know whether it is still this way, or
if it is read dynamically now; if it isn't, you'll have to recompile
libc.

BTW: why add user www-data to all groups, and not just chmod +r the
files which need to be served by apache?

Aaron Isotton                              [ http://www.isotton.com ]
--
I choked Linda Lovelace.