Re: can anyone recomend an application ??? ...

Jaume Guasch wrote:

> Dave Selby <dave_arahan@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I need an application to remind me when certain events are due, ie wifes
> > birthday etc !!,
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
>
> The calendar program from the bsdmainutils package

I personally have been using the calendar program for many years.

> So, put a calendar file in your home directory, and put a file in
>
> e.g.
> /etc/cron.daily/calendar
> ---
> #!/bin/bash
> calendar -a
> ---

Gratuitous side comment: Why /bin/bash and not /bin/sh?  There is
nothing bash specific there.  Better to use a portable shell.

Note that bsdmainutils already installs an example calendar crontab
there that has that functionality primed and ready to go, but disabled
by default.  Being in /etc it is a conffile and may be edited and the
configuration preserved as desired across updates.

Beware of sites running NIS/YP with users across NFS.  I seem to
recall an old problem where calendar would walk through all user's
home directores, not just the local users, and NFS mount all home
directories looking for calendar files.  And this would generate
duplicate mailings one per machine running calendar.  (At my site,
potentially thousands of mailings.)  Therefore this might be best to
be run as a personal user crontab entry instead for those people who
desire it.  And perhaps that is not an issue with the current
implementation.  I don't know and did not look.  YMMV.

Here is my personal crontab entry for a sample.

  0 5 * * *      calendar | mail -s 'calendar reminder' $LOGNAME

And yes, especially for laptops, anacron is best so as not to miss
anything.

Bob