help - install fails after 1st reboot

Hi, I'm trying to install Debian.

I am trying both 2.2 and 3.0. I'd rather have 3.0 working, so I will focus
on that one. I have a Compaq 6024. When I boot off the 3.0 disk, all my
hardware is detected - usb (uhci), NIC (eepro100), and CD-roms (DVD & CDRW).

When installing, I choose the kernel modules for the NIC (eepro100) and the
USB core, uchi, and mass storage options. When I reboot, none of those
devices are detected. I can't access the cdrom or NIC, so I cant get any
more packages. My sources.list is empty. During the 2nf half of the
install, it actually says it cannot detect a cd-rom. :-(

I forgot to mention, I have to boot off the "bf4.2" CD, then put in the
regular "Generic Boot" CD. If I only boot off Generic, it does not let me
pick USB as a kernel module to load. After it boots off the bf4.2, I have
to put in the generic for it to be able to copy the modules, otherwise it
complains it I dont have an installable module CD. The bf4.2 CD does not
seem to be a "stand alone" CD.

So I first boot off the bf4.2,
then I put in the Generic boot CD to insall kernel modules,
when I reboot, it can't find the CD drive(s)

I have tried doing all this off my DVD (hdc) and my CRDW (hdd), they both
end up stuck at the same point.

I am new to Debian, but I'm determined to make this work!

thx