Re: spamassassin - three basic questions

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:34:16PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 06:59:45PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> > 1.	how to i tell spamassassin *not to* process some messages? for
> > instance, debain mailing list, i understand, is already processed for
> > spam. no use spamming it again
>
> Rearrange your exim filter so that it delivers such messages directly to
> the appropriate mailbox before the part that calls spamassassin.

some confusion here. here is my exim filter (relevant portions):

# Exim filter

# move all spam
if
    $h_X-Spam-Status: contains "Yes"
        or
    "${if def:h_X-Spam-Flag {def}{undef}}" is "def"
then
    save $home/nvnt/spm
    finish
endif

# move all mailing list mail to mlst folder

if	$h_to: contains "lists.debian.org" or
	$h_cc: contains "lists.debian.org" or
then
	save $home/nvnt/mlst
	finish
endif

# move everything else to nvn
save $home/eptr/nvn
finish

if i understand correctly, my .forward file (exim filter) checks for
x-spam-status. this is updated by spamassassin. so is it that all mail
that is processed by exim filter is processed by spamassassin anyway? in
that case, even if i move my mailing list items out in the beginning of
the exim filter, it wont make a difference as the exim filter is
processing mails *after* they are processed by spamassassin.

> > 2.	how do i tell spamassassin *not to* convert all attachments into
> > inline material? retain the structure, just add the tag in subject line?
>
> See Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3pm). Try unsetting defang_mime.
>
> > 3.	how do i tell spamassassin, here, if the message is from a
> > certain sender, it is not spam - irrespctive of what you think and if a
> > message is from some other sender, it is spam - irrespctive of what you
> > think?
>
> See Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3pm). Use whitelist_from.

one more question. i have read time and again the documentation that
comes with spamassassin. i am unable to decide location of configuration
files. the documentation says that per user settings are a security hole
for users can get root access if spamd is run. i do run spamd and dont
want to have any security holes although i am the only user of the
system. does that mean that i will have to defang mime and whitelist,
etc. in systemwide file? what file do i have to edit? i havent modeified
any spamassassin configuration file as yet.

one more thing, if i understand documentation correctly, inorder to stop
spamassassin from processing some mails (question 1), i may have to do
whitelist_to in the configuration file?

thanx for all the help. i think after i get this clear, my spamassassin
setup will be the way i want it :)

--
regards,
sandip p deshmukh