Re: Gibraltar, apache and samba at the same machine

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:21:10AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:45:33AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > gibraltar is not what you want.  Install the "ipmasq" package.
>
> Well, if we're talking only a single computer altogether, then making
> sure you don't have any services that aren't being used installed, and
> make sure the ones that are being used are both properly configured
> and patched in an intelligent manner should really cover your bases.
> If it's a home box with no services to the outside world, you can
> pretty much remove all services but the MTA, reconfigure the MTA to
> not listen outside of localhost and learn a little iptables to close
> everything off that isn't originating from the box or related to an
> existing connection.

Agreed.  However, the script this guy posted indicated he was doing
NAT (though it's still not clear to me that it's needed :-) which is
why I mentioned the ipmasq package.  It's not perfect  but IMO it's a
good starting point for newbies.

  People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
  thought which they avoid.
          -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard