Re: Package Depedency Problems/Conficts

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:19:34PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:54:09AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Actually, unstable updates at 19:52 UTC (or 20:52 UTC if auric is on
> > daylight savings time).
>
> UTC does not observe DST, hence Pacific Time being -0700 or -0800
> depending what time of year it is.

Indeed; however, cron jobs operate according to local time.

> It must take next to forever for it to update, I'm rarely able to see
> updates until after 0000UTC.

Well, cron.daily has to run (backup database, process all accepted
packages, rebuild all the monster Packages and Sources files, regenerate
Release files, clean up any files in the archive that aren't referenced
any more, etc.), which isn't a cheap operation. Mirrors get triggered
after that. The official mirrors are arranged in a shallow hierarchy, so
if you aren't updating from a primary mirror then it will take an
additional hour or so.