Re: Burning cd's makes the computer really really slow

#include <hallo.h>
* Matthew Weier O'Phinney [Thu, Feb 20 2003, 11:36:19PM]:
> > and you would need to set your cdrw to udma2 ( ata-33 )
> > 	hdparm -d 1 -X 66 -m 16 -c 1 /dev/hdc
>
> Read the manpage for hdparm -- the -X option *rarely* needs to be used
> on modern drives as they automatically set to their highest transfer

UDMA settings won't help you when you burn the CD in DAO mode. The
problem is the kernel. It disables DMA when a program uses
non-standard block sizes for data transfers - this happens when burning
CDs in RAW mode, eg. DAO/SAO, audio CD grabbing, etc.

There is a patch to enable DMA functionality in this case. However,
though it seems to work best with my (VIA-IDE) systems, it seems to
trigger some random bugs with other software/hardware combinations.

See:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Andrew+Morton+CDROMREADAUDIO+DMA&btnG=Google-Suche

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
<Joey> Nobse: hihi, hab nur die Manpage gelesen :)
<nobse> Joey: grmpf... ;)