Re: Burning cd's makes the computer really really slow

hi ya cirrus

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, cirrus wrote:

> Ok I know the answer is somewhere out there but can't seem to find it.
> I've got a 48x speed cd-recorder and whenever I start writing a cd, cpu usage
> goes up to 100%(well almost 100%, can't even play an ogg file properly).
> Grabbing a copy of cdrtools-2 did help when burning iso's. Now i can burn iso
> images in just 3 minutes, but when burning bin/cue images using cdrdao the
> problem is still there(and it takes around 5-10 minutes for each cd). I've
> tried with dma enabled and disabled and played around with the drive settings
> using hdparm, but nothing changed.

i'd bet that you need to have your cdrw on one ide cable and your
system disk on a different cable ..

and you would need to set your cdrw to udma2 ( ata-33 )
	hdparm -d 1 -X 66 -m 16 -c 1 /dev/hdc

also be sure that your kernel supports the ide chipsset on the mb

and you might want to try using an ata-66 ( 80-conductor ) cable to see
if it helps any

> hdparm -i /dev/hdc (if it helps)
>
> /dev/hdc:
>
>  DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2

-- note fastest supported dma speed
	-- all other drives on this ide cable should be udma2 ( ata-33 )

c ya
alvin