Re: Burning cd's makes the computer really really slow

-- Alvin Oga <aoga@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote
(on Thursday, 20 February 2003, 06:45 PM -0800):

> hi ya cirrus
>
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, cirrus wrote:

> > Ok I know the answer is somewhere out there but can't seem to find it.
> > I've got a 48x speed cd-recorder and whenever I start writing a cd, cpu usage
> > goes up to 100%(well almost 100%, can't even play an ogg file properly).
> > Grabbing a copy of cdrtools-2 did help when burning iso's. Now i can burn iso
> > images in just 3 minutes, but when burning bin/cue images using cdrdao the
> > problem is still there(and it takes around 5-10 minutes for each cd). I've
> > tried with dma enabled and disabled and played around with the drive settings
> > using hdparm, but nothing changed.
>
> i'd bet that you need to have your cdrw on one ide cable and your
> system disk on a different cable ..
>
> and you would need to set your cdrw to udma2 ( ata-33 )
> 	hdparm -d 1 -X 66 -m 16 -c 1 /dev/hdc

Read the manpage for hdparm -- the -X option *rarely* needs to be used
on modern drives as they automatically set to their highest transfer
rate on power on, and an improper setting can cause data loss and/or
corruption. In addition, the -m option is usually only available for
hard drives (do an hdparm -i on your cd/dvd device -- most likely,
you'll notice that MaxMultSect is 0), and it, too, can cause fs
corruption if set incorrectly (to set it correctly, see what your drive
can support using hdparm -i and reading the manpage).

Be careful about posting stuff like this as it's highly device
dependent -- indicate information about the command and some possible
settings to look into.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net