Re: How to duplicate a CD?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:16:27PM +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 03:41, stan wrote:
> > I posted this a few months agoa, and got an answer involving cdparnoia, and
> > cdrecord. But I sem to have lost the emails, and I can't seem to get the
> > mailing list archive search engine to find it :-(
> >
> > So, how can I duplicat an audio CD?
>
> I think you can use dd
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=cdrom.iso

You *can*, but you're better off using a tool designed for this.
cdparanoia actually understands audio CDs, and uses all sorts of tricks
to make sure it gets a clean rip, with no bleeps or bloops.  As far as I
can tell, it is the best ripper around.  Far better than cdda2wav or any
of the Windows Crap I used to use, back in my dark ages :)

> then, you just burn cdrom.iso

Yeah, but it's still not an ISO-9660 filesystem, it's just an image of
the CD.  Using cdparanoia is a far, far, far better option.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/