Re: Burning cd's makes the computer really really slow

* cirrus (cirrus@the-penguin.org.uk) [030220 21:08]:

> Ok I know the answer is somewhere out there but can't seem to find it.
> I've got a 48x speed cd-recorder and whenever I start writing a cd, cpu usage
> goes up to 100%(well almost 100%, can't even play an ogg file properly).
> Grabbing a copy of cdrtools-2 did help when burning iso's. Now i can burn iso
> images in just 3 minutes, but when burning bin/cue images using cdrdao the
> problem is still there(and it takes around 5-10 minutes for each cd). I've
> tried with dma enabled and disabled and played around with the drive settings
> using hdparm, but nothing changed.
>
> Cirrus
>
> hdparm -i /dev/hdc (if it helps)
>
> /dev/hdc:
>
>  Model=LITE-ON LTR-48125W, FwRev=VS06, SerialNo=
>  Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
>  RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
>  BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
>  (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
>  IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:227,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
>  PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>  DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
>  AdvancedPM=no

What kind of power does the machine have ?? It's gonna take a fair
amount of power to burn at that speed and do anything else
comfortably... I've seen some 32x + burners "recommend" a PII-500 or
higher.

My wife's machine is a PIII-866 w/ 256mb RAM and a 40x burner. I can
burn with it full speed and do "other" tasks without any problem. It is
running Win2K though, but I'd honestly expect Linux to do even *better*.

Hall