Re: Gibraltar, apache and samba at the same machine

Willem-Jan Meijer said:
> Hello,
>
> A question about Gibraltar. I'm not Bill Gates, so I can't afford another
> computer, but I want to secure my system. I want to try Gibraltar, and I
> want to run this on an existing Debian machine, together with Apache,
> Samba and so on. Is this possible? If not, what is a good package to
> secure my system? I run apache, samba, ssh and ftp.

from the looks of it, what I see Gibraltar is a Linux CDROM-based distro
that runs a firewall. If you are really good with linux you can probably
hack together a new CDROM with Gibraltar and samba, apache and ftp, and
ssh. Only very experienced users would be able to do this I think(I added
a buncha stuff to a ThinkNIC CD and it wasn't easy, took several days
to compile and test, with about 20 burned CDs in the process).

if you want to secure your system a good firewall would be a good start,
debian comes with iptables for 2.4.x kernels and ipchains for 2.2.x kernels,
I would reccomend reading something like the FIREWALL HOWTO in order to
get a basic grasp on setting up a firewall. This document should be
available at the linux documentation project(www.tldp.org).

but securing a system involves much more then just installing a package
or installing a firewall, it is a process that can take a serious
amount of time to learn(this applies to most any system). So it depends
on the level of security your looking for. If your a newbie your best
bet IS to have a 2nd machine acting as a firewall, and blocking everything
by default. That is the easiest way to a more secure network. You don't
require a 2nd machine but with only 1 it significantly increases the
risk and work required to secure it. That's not to say it isn't possible,
just more difficult then it otherwise would be.

good luck

nate