Re: FTP active getting blocked [solved]

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:49:22AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:39:57AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 03:02:33PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> > > Should that (ip_conntrack_ftp) work for a non-NAT filter as well?
> > >
> > > Or is there some other trick for that?
> >
> > I don't imagine it would, but then again, I've never tried it so I
> > don't know firsthand.  Care to try it and post the results?
>
> I tried it briefly - that is, I used modconf to install ip_conntrack_ftp.
> It didn't work (still logged dropped packets when I tried to ls).
>
> Then I read something that suggested to me that maybe this module just
> updates a table, and I need extra iptables rules to allow related
> traffic.
>
> The combination of the hassle of reading about and doing this, and the
> other article I read on 2.4/ftp vulnerabilities, and the fact that I
> actually don't use ftp very much, made me decide it wasn't worthwhile
> going further (at the moment, anyway).

I'm fairly sure that ipt_conntrack_ftp can be used to let FTP through a
non-MASQ'ing firewall, too, with judicious use of RELATED rules.  No
doubt iptables.org knows more than I do, though.  Also try the archives
of the debian-firewall list, it's agoldmine for information like this.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				http://ertius.org/