FTP active getting blocked

My website host just recently changed its FTP server from Passive to
Active.

I thought that it would be easy to make the switch on the client side,
but I've run into problems.  At first I thought it was my firewall that
was stopping incoming data, but I temporarily disabled the firewall and
still can't get incoming FTP data.

Any thoughts on why incoming FTP data doesn't make it through?

Thanks, Kevin

More details:

sakura:kevin:~$ ftp -d website.com
Connected to website.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.4 Server (ProFTPD) [66.77.124.153]
ftp: setsockopt: Bad file descriptor
Name (website.com:kevin): kevin
---> USER kevin
331 Password required for kevin.
Password:
---> PASS XXXX
230-
230 User kevin logged in.
---> SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
ftp: setsockopt (ignored): Permission denied
---> PORT 10,10,10,152,130,79
200 PORT command successful.
---> LIST

... and then it just hangs, and hangs.

I'm initiating the client session from the client FTP.  It then goes
through my firewall box, but as I mentioned, I've got that turned off
temporarily.

As you can see from the FTP session above, I can connect to the FTP
server.  I then issue a simple 'ls', which does get sent.  But the data
coming back from the server gets blocked.  But what does it get blocked
by?  That's what I can't figure out and correct.

Thanks, Kevin
--
Kevin Coyner
mailto: kevin@rustybear.com