Re: Nvidia and X

Jonah Sherman wrote:

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 07:33:33AM +0000, Steve Webster wrote:
I compiled a new kernel, 2.4.18, for ACPI and nvidia drivers. All went well, eventually. After updating my XF86Config-4 I tried re-starting x-windows. All I got was a black screen, no flashes of color, nothing. I couldn't see any consoles either and had to do a re-boot.

I had this problem a long time ago.  It turns out, the nvidia drivers do
not like to share IRQs with other cards.  I had this without ACPI, and
when I disabled my sound card(what was using same IRQ) in the BIOS, the problem was fixed. ACPI tends to bunch alot of things onto 1 irq. As nvidia doesn't wish to open the source to their drivers, there is nothing that can be done to fix this, other than trying "pci=noacpi" on the kernel
boot line, or moving your PCI cards to different slots.
I added the append line to lilo.conf and it worked! Don't know why I'm so surprised. I suppose it's because I've been battling with this for a few days now and didn't expect anything. There is little or no documentation on this phenomenon and the ACPI docs are rather terse about 'pci=noacpi', blink and you'll miss it. Couldn't find anything about it in the nvidia README's either. Maybe I've just gone a bit cross-eyed. Anyway, I now have x-windows back.....

Thank you.   Steve.