Re: Nvidia and X

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 07:33:33AM +0000, Steve Webster wrote:
> I compiled a new kernel, 2.4.18, for ACPI and nvidia drivers. All went
> well, eventually. After updating my XF86Config-4 I tried re-starting
> x-windows. All I got was a black screen, no flashes of color, nothing. I
>couldn't see any consoles either and had to do a re-boot.

I had this problem a long time ago.  It turns out, the nvidia drivers do
not like to share IRQs with other cards.  I had this without ACPI, and
when I disabled my sound card(what was using same IRQ) in the BIOS, the
problem was fixed.  ACPI tends to bunch alot of things onto 1 irq.  As
nvidia doesn't wish to open the source to their drivers, there is nothing
that can be done to fix this, other than trying "pci=noacpi" on the kernel
boot line, or moving your PCI cards to different slots.