RE: new kernel, new problems

Thanks. Got the cpu speed bit solved.

Looking through the PCMCIA HowTo I've checked to see
that /etc/pcmica/config, /etc/default/pcmcia and
/etc/init.d/pcmica are the same under both kernels.

My new kernel is missing the line

serial_cs               4384   0  (unused)

from lsmod.

Under the kernel 2.4.20-686 the output of
/proc/devices is

Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty/m%d
  3 pty/s%d
  4 tts/%d
  5 cua/%d
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 13 input
 14 sound
 29 fb
128 ptm
136 pts/%d
162 raw

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  3 ide0

while under 2.4.19 it's

Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 14 sound
 29 fb
108 ppp
128 ptm
136 pts
162 raw
180 usb
203 cpu/cpuid
226 drm
254 pcmcia

Block devices:
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  7 loop
 43 nbd

There seem to be a whole bunch of devices missing in
the new kernel.

An attempt to start serial_cs with modprobe illicited
the response

/lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o:
insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o
failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o:
insmod serial_cs failed
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the
output from dmesg

while insmod serial_cs gave me

Using
/lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/char/pcmcia/serial_cs.o
/lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/char/pcmcia/serial_cs.o:
unresolved symbol register_pccard_driver_R583d4ed2
/lib/modules/2.4.20-686/kernel/drivers/char/pcmcia/serial_cs.o:
unresolved symbol unregister_pccard_driver_Rdb348cd2

So now I'm stumped. Where do I go from here to get the
pcmcia modem up and running?

I have a 1000 Mhz that was originally recognized as

=====