emacs color problem

hello,

I been having a bit of a problem with changing the text colors
in emacs. I've tried using .Xdefaults and .Xresources files.

My emacs customization looks like this

emacs*Background: DarkSlateGray
emacs*Foreground: Wheat
emacs*pointerColor: Orchid
emacs*cursorColor: Orchid
emacs*bitmapIcon: on
emacs*font: fixed
emacs.geometry: 80x25

I've tried various colors for the emacs*Foreground variable
(which according to the man page should change the color of hte text).
The results is always that the text itself is black and surrounded with a
white background (not the whole background, just where the text is or
where the cursor has moved).

I'm thinking there is some extra variable set somewhere which keeps the
text black. I have had no luck finding it.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Tom Montroy