Re: Can only use ALSA via OSS emulation layer

Kirk Strauser wrote:

> In a nutshell, ALSA still starts without any error messages, but any
> sound-playing program falls into an endless cycle of 100% CPU usage as soon
> as playback starts.  However, if I set `startosslayer=true' in
> /etc/alsa/alsa-base.conf and restart via /etc/init.d/alsa, I can play sounds
> through ALSA's OSS emulation layer without any problems.  In fact, I've
> configured KDE's artsd to use OSS in the mean time, and I'm not having any
> trouble at all.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this?  I'm really puzzled as to why I can't
> use ALSA directly.  Furthermore, I don't know how to get any debugging
> information to illuminate the matter.

Just last weekend, I finally decided to get ALSA working on my main
workstation, which had been OSS-based until then. I also found that I
had to use the OSS emulation layer to get anything to work; KDE's aRTs
would either complain that it could not open the dsp device, or lock up,
when I tried various other approaches.

Craig