Re: Recompile kernel lost network - More information

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:27:50 -0800
"deFreese, Barry" <Barry.deFreese@nike.com> wrote:

> >On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:40:03 -0800
> >"deFreese, Barry" <Barry.deFreese@nike.com> wrote:

<network problems>

> OK, so I used ifconfig eth0 x.x.x.x mask 255.255.255.0 and that worked
> and I can ping devices on the network but I have no name resolution?
> /etc/resolv.conf has the nameserver configured??  What have I broken
> that nothing seems to be reading any of the network configuration
> files in /etc and /etc/network??
>
> Thanks again!!
>
> Barry deFreese

Try using the route command. When run on my personal machine, it looks
like the following:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.xyz.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.xyz.1    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

As for why it's not doing it by default... I would start by double
checking that you have the correct module listed in /etc/modules, then
check your /etc/network/interfaces file. Below is a copy of my
interfaces file: (Be sure to note the "auto" line.)

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.xyz.xyz
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.xyz.0
        broadcast 192.168.35.255
        gateway 192.168.xyz.1

For dynamic addresses, replace "static" and all the lines following with
"dhcp" (or "pump" if you're using that, I believe).

If everything there looks good, check your /etc/init.d/networking script,
as well as the symlink to it from /etc/rc2.d/ (Assuming you've booted
into the normal runlevel 2.)

Once my config files are setup properly, I just run
/etc/init.d/networking to get it to use the proper ip, netmask and
gateway, etc.

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/