Can only use ALSA via OSS emulation layer

I am using ALSA 0.9.0rc6+2-1 via `alsa-modules-2.4.19-k7' on an Unstable
workstation.  This worked great until the last day or two, but a recent
update seems to have broken my setup (and no, I'm not sure exactly what all
I updated - this is an Unstable system in name *and* practice :) ).

In a nutshell, ALSA still starts without any error messages, but any
sound-playing program falls into an endless cycle of 100% CPU usage as soon
as playback starts.  However, if I set `startosslayer=true' in
/etc/alsa/alsa-base.conf and restart via /etc/init.d/alsa, I can play sounds
through ALSA's OSS emulation layer without any problems.  In fact, I've
configured KDE's artsd to use OSS in the mean time, and I'm not having any
trouble at all.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  I'm really puzzled as to why I can't
use ALSA directly.  Furthermore, I don't know how to get any debugging
information to illuminate the matter.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.